Zicam lawsuits are defective drug cases in which those who have lost some of their sense of smell as a result of using the over-the-counter (OTC) cold remedy Zicam seek monetary compensation from Matrixx Initiatives, Inc., the maker of Zicam. As a zinc-based homeopathic medication, Zicam comes in the form of tablets or nasal sprays. According to Matrixx Initiatives, it can be used to treat hay fever, allergies, sinus infections, and the common cold. Zicam products have been available in the U.S. since 1999.
Unfortunately, Zicam has been reported to cause anosmia (the loss of smell). This can significantly impair a person’s quality of life due to the link between the sense of smell and certain memories. In June 2009, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recalled three Zicam products upon receiving mounting reports from Zicam patients regarding this side effect. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recalled three Zicam products: Zicam Cold Remedy Nasal Gel, Zicam Cold Remedy Nasal Swabs, and Zicam Kids’ Size. Currently, the FDA is conducting its own studies regarding the safety and possible risks associated with the Zicam products that remain on the market in the U.S.
How to Start a Zicam Smell Loss Lawsuit
To initiate Zicam litigation, injured parties can attend a free, no obligations initial consultation with a seasoned defective drug attorney who will:
- Inform the prospective plaintiff of his legal rights.
- Provide a professional, thorough assessment of the case.
- Give expert advice on how to proceed for the best chances of securing the largest possible compensation award.
Those who have a case and choose to hold Matrixx Initiatives, Inc. responsible for their negligence will not have to pay any legal fees until or unless they are granted a settlement. This motivates skilled Zicam attorneys to:
- work tirelessly to build each client the strongest possible case, which usually involves working with other experts to bolster the victims’ case while simultaneously discrediting the defenses’ claims
- aggressively litigate against corporate lawyers
- help their clients get through the legal process as efficiently and favorably as possible so they can focus on moving on with their lives.
Ultimately, those who follow through with Zicam litigation (including Zicam class action lawsuits) can secure a settlement that compensates them for their medical bills, treatment costs, lost wages, permanent disabilities, pain, and suffering.
If you or a loved one used Zicam and lost part or all of your sense of smell you should contact us immediately for a free and confidential case review. You may be entitled to compensation and we can help.