Approximately 98,000 people in the U.S. suffer a wrongful death each year as a result of medical malpractice and hospital negligence. Such a tragic fact is compounded by the fact that many more are seriously injured “ sometimes irreversibly so “ as a result of visiting or seeking treatment from those at hospitals. Amost any negligence or recklessness that occurs within a hospital setting that results in injuries or wrongful deaths can be considered hospital negligence, and may serve as the basis for a strong civil legal claim.
Examples of Hospital Negligence
Although hospital negligence is most likely to occur in larger hospitals (i.e., those with more than 100 beds), it can take place in any hospital in a variety of forms. Hospital negligence can include:
- inadequate staffing
- lack of sanitary or functioning equipment necessary for standard treatments
- unsafe grounds (e.g., lack of signage, emergency exits, security, etc.)
Additionally, doctors, nurses, and others who are staffed at hospitals can make mistakes or behave recklessly, thereby injuring (instead of treating or helping) those at hospitals. Some of the types of mistakes that can be made by hospital staff include:
- administering unsafe types or amounts of drugs to patients
- exposing patients (or others) to infection
- failing to accurately diagnose a patient within a timely manner
- failing to properly treat a patient (when medical professional has chosen an improper treatment for a condition due to negligence)
- leaving surgical tools in patients
- losing medical records – or worse, losing patients
Hospital Negligence Settlements
Although more than 70 percent of hospital negligence legal claims are settled before ever going to trial, it is critical that those who allege that they (or their loved one) have been victimized by hospital negligence work with a skilled medical malpractice attorney to:
- ensure that their legal rights are being fully and aggressively represented.
- build the strongest possible case against the hospital.
- have optimal chances of securing the maximum possible settlement so theycan focus on their recovery and future.
If you or a loved one have been affected by hospital negligence, you should contact Chaffin Luhana’s medical malpractice lawyers immediately for a free and confidential case review. You may be entitled to financial compensation, and Chaffin Luhana may be able to help you recover. Call our toll free number today for a free, no-obligation case evaluation: 1-888-480-1123.