While the birth of a child is a joyous time for many families, tragically, some infants are severely, even fatally, injured as a result of birth. Research indicates that approximately 7 in 1,000 infants born in the U.S. sustain a birth injury as a result of a mother’s illness or medical history, delivery complications, or the mistakes made by medical professionals before, during, or immediately after birth.
Causes of Birth Injuries
Factors that can complicate delivery and, therefore, increase the likelihood of birth injuries include:
- breach birth (where the baby is positioned to be delivered feet-first, rather than head-first, which can cut off an infant’s supply of oxygen and, in turn, damage the brain)
- large birth weights (greater than 8 pounds 13 ounces)
- premature birth (babies born prior to 37 weeks are at a higher risk of bone fracture and other serious injuries due to the fact that the baby is more fragile because he has not fully developed in the womb)
- prolonged labor (which can result in unnecessary stress and potential oxygen deprivation to the infant).
Medical Mistakes Cause Birth Injuries
Some of the types of mistakes that doctors and/or nurses can make, which cause birth injuries include:
- administering the wrong type or amount of medication to a mother or baby
- failing to notice and promptly treat signs of the mother’s or infant’s distress (such as increased heart rate or prolonged delivery)
- failing to perform a C-section when one is necessary
- improperly using forceps or vacuum extraction
Birth Injury Lawyers
If you suspect that your infant’s birth injuries were caused by the negligence or recklessness of a medical professional, birth injury attorneys invite you to receive a professional assessment of your case during a complimentary, no obligations initial consultation. Those with compelling malpractice cases can secure compensation for their medical bills, injuries, losses, pain, and suffering by working with a skilled birth injury attorney to build the strongest possible malpractice lawsuit.
If you or a loved one have used suffered from birth injury, you should contact our birth injury lawyers immediately for a free and confidential case review. You may be entitled to compensation and we can help.