Paxil settlements are monetary awards granted to individuals who have been injured by or who have lost a loved one due to the use of Paxil. Paxil is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) anti-depressant produced by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and first approved by the Food and Drug Administartion (FDA) in 1992. Generically referred to as paroxetine, Paxil is indicated for the treatment of numerous psychiatric disorders, including depression, panic and anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress syndrome, and obsessive compulsive disorder.
Numerous clinical studies and published reports found that the use of Paxil puts patients at risk of developing some serious, potentially fatal, side effects including:
- Congenital heart problems, extreme breathing difficulties, abdominal abnormalities, and other birth defects (when taking Paxil while pregnant)
- Mania or hypomania
- Serotonin syndrome, a condition in which serotonin enters the central nervous system causing increased heart rate, twitching, hypertension, and hyperthermia.)
- Suicidal thoughts and/or behaviors
- Withdrawal symptoms, which may include intense headaches, nausea, anxiety, vertigo, and insomnia.
How to Achieve a Paxil Settlement
Those who took Paxil and sustained any of the above side effects should, once their health is stable, consult with an experienced defective drug lawyer during a free initial consultation. Victims of Paxil side effects will have a strong legal claim against GSK, and they may be entitled to a Paxil settlement that compensates them for:
- Outstanding medication bills
- Ongoing treatment costs
- Lost wages and/or permanent disabilities
- Pain and suffering.
To date, GSK has paid out millions in Paxil settlements, and this amount is only going to increase as public awareness continues to grow. Experts estimate that more than 5,000 Paxil lawsuits have been filed in the U.S.
While a Paxil settlement can not restore permanent disabilities or the loss of a loved one, it can help injured parties get the financial help they need in order to recover and focus on moving on with their lives.
If you or a loved one used Paxil and suffered from any side effect including birth defects, mania, hypomania, serotonin syndrome, or suicidal thoughts you should contact us immediately for a free and confidential case review. You may be entitled to compensation and we can help.