Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) refers to the treatment of menopausal, perimenopausal, and postmenopausal symptoms with the use of estrogen, progesterone, and/or progestins. Hormone replacement therapy has been prescribed for decades and may be effective at minimizing hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal symptoms, and osteoporosis associated with menopause. The hormones may be taken orally or applied topically to the skin.
Prempro, one of the most popular HRT drugs, was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2003. Prempro is made by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals (a division of Pfizer). Prempro has come under heavy public scrutiny because recent studies have highlighted the risk of developing serious HRT side effects, some of which include:
- blood clots
- breast cancer
- endometrial cancer (a type of uterine cancer)
- gallbladder disease
- heart attack
- increased breast density (which some researchers believe may also increase the risk of developing breast cancer)
- ovarian cancer
- pulmonary embolism (blood clots lodged in the lungs that impede breathing and can be fatal without prompt treatment)
Risk Factors for Hormone Replacement Therapy Side Effects
Women who are most likely to develop severe hormone replacement therapy side effects include those with a history of:
- blood clots, heart attack, or stroke
- breast, uterine, or ovarian cancer
- heart disease
- liver disease
- liver problems
Women can minimize their risk of developing HRT side effects by:
- discussing their complete medical history with their doctor before starting a course of HRT
- taking the lowest effective doses for the shortest amount of time
- finding the delivery method that best suits them
Those Diagnosed with HRT Side Effects…
HRT patients who took Prempro and develop any of the above-listed side effects should seek emergency medical attention to prevent further, life-threatening side effects. Once their health is stable, injured women are encouraged to learn more about their legal rights and entitlements by attending a complimentary initial consultation with an experienced defective drug attorney. Victims of serious hormone replacement therapy side effects will have a strong legal claim against the drug manufacturer responsible for their HRT medication, and they will be entitled to a settlement that compensates them for their medical bills, permanent disabilities, pain, and suffering.
If you or a loved one have used HRT or taken Prempro and suffered from any side effect including blood clots, stroke, pulmonary embolism, breast or ovarian cancer, you should contact our HRT side effect attorneys immediately for a free and confidential case review. You may be entitled to compensation and we can help.