Depuy hip implant class action lawsuits are civil cases in which a number of plaintiffs with similar injuries or grievances against Depuy Orthopedics (a division of Johnson & Johnson) pool their claims in a single lawsuit in an effort to win a settlement for their injuries and losses. The Depuy hip implants (specifically the ASR XL Acetabular System total hip replacement and the ASR Hip Resurfacing System) have been found to be defective in two ways:
- Their design is flawed in that the ball-and-socket joint in the device is not set deep enough.
- The grinding of the metal in the joint releases chromium and cobalt ions into a patient’s body.
These two defects, in turn, can cause a range of serious health complications, including:
- broken fractures
- dislocated hip joints
- irreversible deterioration to the muscles and tissue surrounding the hip joint
- loose hip cups
- pseudotumors (dense tissue masses similar to tumors)
- severe allergic reactions
Any of the above side effects may require blood testing and invasive, costly surgery to remove the device, and they can be the basis of the legal claim for a Depuy hip implant class action lawsuit.
Who Should Join a Depuy Hip Implant Class Action Lawsuit
Whether a prospective plaintiff chooses to file an individual or a Depuy hip implant class action lawsuit will depend on the nature of his injuries, as well as his personal needs, preferences and expectations. Those who are better suited to joining a Depuy hip implant class action lawsuit are plaintiffs who want to:
- Ensure that they are receiving the same amount of compensation as others who have sustained similar injuries.
- Maintain some distance from the day-to-day legal proceedings.
Injured Depuy hip implant patients can receive a professional evaluation of their case, along with expert legal advice regarding which type of lawsuit is most appropriate for their case, by receiving a free initial consultation with one of our experienced defective medical device lawyers. Those who choose to stand up for their legal rights and follow through with any type of Depuy hip implant litigation:
- will not have to pay any legal fees until or unless a settlement is awarded
- can win compensation for their outstanding medical bills, ongoing treatment costs, permanent disabilities, pain, suffering, and any other associated losses.