Levaquin lawsuits are products liability cases in which patients who have sustained serious injuries as a result of taking the fluoroquinolone antibiotic known as Levaquin (generically levofloxacin) seek compensation for their outstanding medicals bills, long-term treatment costs, permanent disabilities, lost wages, pain, and suffering.
First approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in December 1996, Levaquin is powerful at treating bacterial infections that affect the eyes, skin, ears, prostate, and urinary tract. Levaquin may be prescribed for up to 60 days, depending on the nature and severity of the infection it is used to treat. Ortho McNeil (a division of Johnson & Johnson) produces Levaquin. In 2007, Ortho McNeil generated approximately $1.4 billion from selling Levaquin.
Regardless of its popularity and effectiveness, however, Levaquin is known to cause a number of irreversible, devastating side effects that can be life-threatening. Those who have suffered any serious Levaquin side effects:
- Should seek emergency medical attention.
- Will be eligible to file a Levaquin lawsuit against Ortho McNeil.
- Should consult with an experienced defective drug lawyer, once their health is no longer in danger, to learn more about their legal rights and entitlements.
Basis for Levaquin Litigation: Severe Drug Side Effects
The base claim for filing a Levaquin lawsuit lies in the fact that a patient has developed any of the following side effects:
- Acute pancreatitis
- Irregular heartbeat
- Kidney damage
- Permanent double-vision or loss of vision
- Severe allergic reaction
- Severe damage to the central nervous system
- Spontaneous tendon rupture
- Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (SJS) or Toxic Epidermal Necrosis (TEN) – both of which are severe skin conditions that can be fatal if not treated early on.
Levaquin injuries are most likely to affect very young or elderly patients, and they can develop both during and well after the use of Levaquin.
Injured Levaquin patients are encouraged to attend a free initial consult with a seasoned products liability attorney to get expert advice on whether an individual or class action Levaquin lawsuit is better suited to their case.
If you or a loved one have used Levaquin and suffered from any side effect including pancreatitis, hypoglycemia, seizures, SJS, or TEN, you should contact us immediately for a free and confidential case review. You may be entitled to compensation and we can help.