Fosamax settlements are monetary awards granted to those who sustained any of the following serious health complications as a result of using the biphosphonate osteoporosis medication known as Fosamax (generically Alendronate):
- heart arrhythmia
- osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) or “dead jaw,” the irreversible deterioration of the jaw bone
- ulcers in the esophagus
- femur fractures (The risk for femur fractures increases when Fosamax is used for longer than 5 years.)
- Steven-Johnson’s Syndrome (SJS) and Toxic Epidermal Cecrosis (TEN), severe skin conditions in which the body’s mucous membranes become seriously swollen and the skin’s layers separate from each other. SJS is diagnosed as TEN when between 10 and 30 percent of the body is affected by symptoms.
Fosamax was first approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1995 because it could significantly improve the strength of bones in patients with osteoporosis or Paget’s disease (a condition in which the bones develop abnormally and become enlarged). Despite its effectiveness, however, numerous clinical studies conducted since its FDA approval have documented these serious side effects (along with the risk factors for them).
What Fosamax Settlements Cover
Merck, the manufacturer of Fosamax, is currently facing more than 900 lawsuits and, to date, has paid out millions in Fosamax settlements to help compensate victims for their:
- outstanding medical bills and ongoing treatment costs
- lost wages
- permanent disabilities (including the permanent inability to earn a living)
- pain and suffering
- wrongful death of a loved one (if the death is related to a Fosamax side effect).
How to Win Fosamax Compensation
Those who have a history of taking Fosamax (or similar biphosphonates) should consult with an experienced products liability attorney to learn more about their legal rights and entitlements. During a complimentary initial consultation, prospective plaintiffs can also get an expert opinion regarding the best manner in which to proceed to win the maximum possible Fosamax settlement.
Our Fosamax attorneys are dedicated to your compensation and will not charge legal fees until or unless a Fosamax settlement is won. If you or a loved one have used Fosamax and suffered from any side effect including ONJ, TMJ, SJS, or TEN, you should contact us immediately for a free and confidential case review. You may be entitled to compensation and we can help.