Avandia settlements are monetary awards granted to those who have sustained any type of severe injury due to use of the type-2 diabetes medication known as Avandia. Of the 13,000 defective drug lawsuits filed against GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), the manufacturer of Avandia, experts estimate that approximately 11,500 cases have been settled, with current totals for Avandia settlements paid out in these cases estimated to cost GSK about $460 million.
Because Avandia is still available via prescription in the U.S., unfortunately, more users are still at risk of developing serious Avandia side effects and more are expected to file defective drug lawsuits against GSK. Some experts contend that GSK may ultimately pay out as much as $6 billion in Avandia settlements.
Side Effects that Spurred Avandia Settlements
Among the serious side effects that users developed as a result of taking Avandia (generically rosiglitazone) are:
- bone fractures, particularly in the upper arms, hands or feet and mostly effecting female patients
- heart attack
- moderate to severe acute hepatitis
- partial blindness
While some research has indicated that taking Avandia increases a user’s risk of having a stroke by up to 27 percent, other studies have reported that taking Avandia increases a user’s risk of sustaining a heart attack by as much as 43 percent.
Avandia users who develop any of the above-mentioned side effects should seek immediate medical attention to prevent further health complications and, in the worst cases, death.
Avandia Compensation for Injured Users
Once injured Avandia users’ health is no longer in danger, they are encouraged to receive a complimentary, no obligation initial consultation with an experienced defective drug attorney at Chaffin Luhana LLP who will:
- Give them a comprehensive, professional evaluation of their case
- Provide them with expert advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward with their case
- Work with medical professionals and other experts to build the strongest possible case for the injured Avandia user
- Work tirelessly to ensure that their clients get through the legal process efficiently and that they secure the maximum possible Avandia settlement
To further encourage injured parties to stand up for their legal rights and seek the Avandia settlement they deserve, defective drug lawyers at our firm will not charge them any legal fees until or unless GSK compensates them for their injuries and losses.